Keep Holiday Memories Safe - Fire Hazard Tips

12/16


During the holiday season it can be easy to forget about fire safety with all the joy and laughter going around! Take a peak at these tips from the Kelowna Fire Department because you never know accidents happen and can lead to a lifetime of regret.


Christmas trees and decorations

• One in three Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical failures.
• Buy fresh trees and keep them well watered.
• Keep trees at least three feet away from heat sources such as radiators or fireplaces.
• Inspect holiday lights every year for frayed wires, bare spots, gaps in the insulation, broken or cracked sockets and excessive kinking or wear.
• Use only lights approved by a testing laboratory, such as CSA, UL or ULC.
• Do not link more than three light strands, unless directions indicate it is safe.
• Periodically check wires – they should not be warm to touch.
• Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
• Always turn off all lights before sleeping or leaving the house.
Candles and other flammables get their own category of safety tips, since half of all holiday decoration fires are caused by a heat source.

Candles and matches

• Avoid using lit candles
• Never put lit candles on a tree
• Never leave candles unattended
• Never put wrapping paper in a fireplace
• Place menorah/kinara on a steady table and make sure all combustibles are at least three feet from the candles’ flame.
• Avoid putting your menorah/kinara in windows or near doorways, where exits will be blocked.
• Provide smokers with an outdoor area and a deep ashtray.
• Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.

Thank you, and have a safe holiday season!

RECENT POSTS